Land Acquisition Bill proposes monitoring body
New Delhi: Aiming at ensuring better resettlement and rehabilitation, the draft Land Acquisition Bill proposes to set up a national monitoring body which will be regularly updated by the states.
`The Draft National Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation&Resettlement Bill, 2011` also proposes to set up authorities both at central and state level for speedy disposal of issues
related to land acquisition.
"The central government shall constitute a National Monitoring Committee for reviewing and monitoring the implementation of rehabilitation and resettlement schemes or
plans under the Act," says the draft bill, which seeks to enhance compensation for land owners by up to six times.
It proposes that the committee should have "eminent experts from the relevant fields" along with representatives of the ministries concerned and departments of the central and
The states and Union Territories shall provide all the relevant information on the matters covered under the Act, to the committee "in a regular and timely manner, and also as and
when required," says the draft bill unveiled last week.
The draft bill also proposes to set up authorities both at national and state level for "the purpose of providing speedy disposal of disputes relating to land acquisition,
compensation, Rehabilitation and Resettlement".
Both the National Land Acquisition Dispute Settlement Authority and State Land Acquisition Rehabilitation and Resettlement Dispute Settlement Authority shall consist at least three members, including the chairperson, the draft bill says.
"The members of the Authority shall be persons of ability, integrity and standing who have adequate knowledge of, and have shown capacity in, dealing with the problems relating to
land acquisition matters, public administration, finance, economics and law," says the draft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews