Land acquisition bill: Rahul leads delegation to PM
New Delhi: In the backdrop of controversies
over land acquisition, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Thursday led
a delegation of young MPs to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh,
seeking introduction of the new Land Bill in the current
session of Parliament.
The delegation met the Prime Minister at his residence in
the evening and presented a memorandum in this regard.
"We understand that this Bill has received broad support
from across a wide cross-section of society. We urge that this
Bill be introduced in this monsoon session of Parliament
itself. We urge the government to take steps to ensure that
the Bill is brought for debate and passage in the winter
session of Parliament," the MPs memorandum said.
It said "we welcome this Bill and believe it is in keeping
with the interests of the people of India and the priorities
and policies of the Congress Party."
The delegation sought that after the Bill is introduced,
it be referred to the Standing Committee for providing
opportunities to the public to send their comments and
They told the Prime Minister that the Ministry of Rural
Development has circulated a draft Land Acquisition and
Rehabilitaton and Resettlement Bill, 2011, for public debate,
as well as for inter-ministerial consultations.
Among the MPs who signed the memorandum along with Rahul
Gandhi are Arun Yadav, Bhakta Charan Das, Pradeep Majhi,
Thokchom Meinya, Harish Choudhary, Sachin Pilot, Uday Pratap
Singh, Deepender Singh Hooda, Vikrambhai Maadam, Raghuvir
Singh Meena, PT Thomas, Ravneet Singh Bittu, R
Dhruvanarayana, Raj Babbar and Anantha Vekatarami Reddy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Cook, Root tons help hosts post 314/4 on Day 1
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media