Land acquisition Bill should include coal mining also: CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Monday said the proposed land acquisition Bill should include the aspect of coal mining also and the party would seek amendement to this effect when it comes up in Parliament.
"The land acquisition Bill is lacking on coal mining issue. When the land is acquired for coal mining under Coal Mining Act, it does not get covered under the proposed Land Acquisition Act. So, the provisions of compensation, rehabilitation and other benefits are not applicable when the land is acquired for coal mining," CPI(M) leader Prakash Karat said here.
"So, our demand is to include it in the proposed Land Acquisition Act and we will seek amendments to this effect in Parliament", Karat said after a documentary show on coal mining here.
The Colliery Mazdoor Sabha of India showed an half-an- hour film called "The Dark" depicting the condition and exploitation of mine workers.
Taking note of pilferage of coal in these mines, Karat said "there are pilferages in the whole area of mining, illegal mining and the expolitaion of mine workers.
"While we are arguing that coal mining which are nationalised should remain nationalised, the various corrupt practices including pilferage should be stopped. Government should take prompt steps to stop it," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed