Land Acquisition bill to be notified early next year: Jairam Ramesh
Jaipur: The Land Acquisition Bill would be notified by early next year after framing of rules, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Sunday and stressed the legislation will play an important role in curbing Maoist problem.
In the next two months, the ministry would frame rules under the Act and it would be notified early next year, the Rural Development Minister told reporters here.
It provides for fair compensation to those whose land is taken away, brings transparency to the process of acquisition of land to set up factories and buildings, infrastructural projects and assures rehabilitation of those affected, he said, terming the legislation as "historic".
Besides giving many benefits of land rights to farmers, dalits, and tribals, the landmark Land Acquisition Bill could gradually eliminate Maoist influence in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, and Orissa in next five to six year.
"Of the 88 Naxal afflicted districts, I visited 50 of them and found major issues of land and forest that were behind Naxalism.
"Land deeds (patta) were given to 13 lakh tribals to live under the Forest Right Act, 2006. Jangal and zameen (forest and land) were issues behind these terror, and the new bill will certainly enable the state governments too to solve their genuine problems", Ramesh said.
UPA government in its second innings has established six new milestones of legal rights for public at large for peace and prosperity of the nation, he said.
These are Right to Information in 2005, MNREGA, Right to work, Forest Right, Right to Education 2008, Food Security and Land Acquisition Bills (2013), the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies