Land Acquisition Bill to come up in Rajya Sabha on Wednesday
New Delhi: The ambitious Land Acquisition Bill, which seeks to provide just and fair compensation to farmers while ensuring that no land can be aquired forcibly, will come up in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
This was decided at the meeting of the Business Advisory Committee of the Upper House on Monday.
It was also decided that the Pension Bill will be taken up in the Rajya Sabha on Friday.
The Land Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha last week with 216 votes in favour and 19 against it.
"The Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2012" stipulates mandatory consent of at least 70 per cent for acquiring land for Public Private Partnership (PPP) projects and 80 per cent for acquiring land for private companies.
The bill, which will replace over a century-old law, proposes compensation up to four times the market value in rural areas and two times the market value in urban areas.
In the Lok Sabha, Left parties, AIADMK and BJD members had staged a walkout when the Bill was passed. Trinamool Congress voted against the bill while main Opposition BJP as also SP and BSP had supported the legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug