Land Acquisition Bill will ensure land is not acquired by force: Mamata
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee on Saturday said the proposed Land Acquisition Bill will
ensure that land was not forcibly acquired for industry.
"We have shown the way through Singur and Nandigram
movements against the forcible acquisition of land for
industries," Banerjee told a rally by the party`s student`s
"There is similar demand from Singur to Nandigram,
from Aligarh to Lalgarh against the forcible acquisition of
land. We have been constantly saying that no land should be
acquired forcibly. And, no forcible acquisition land will get
priority in the proposed land law," Banerjee said.
Her remarks came a few days after Congress leader Rahul
Gandhi had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who assured him
that the Bill would be brought in the next session of
Banerjee, the Railway Minister, said she had made it a
policy that no land would be acquired for railway projects.
Banerjee who has coined the slogan `Ma, Mati Manush`
(Mother, Land and People) announced the formation of the `Ma,
Mati, Manush Brigade` which would help people in times of
"Members of the brigade will help in providing education
to the needy, medical treatment and services in times of
emergency," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH