Lanka crimes: CPI(M) wants India to press for credible probe
New Delhi: India should press for a credible and independent probe into the alleged war crimes by Sri Lankan forces and seek devolution of powers by the island nation`s government to Tamil-dominated areas, the CPI(M) said on Saturday.
"At the UN Human Rights Council meeting, the government should take the stand that the Sri Lankan government should agree to a high level, credible and independent enquiry on the allegations of war crimes committed during the last phase of the civil war," the party Politburo said in a statement here.
It said that though four years have passed since the end of hostilities between Sri Lankan army and the LTTE, "no meaningful steps have been taken to address the issues of atrocities committed during the last phase of the war. Enough evidence exists about war crimes against innocent civilians."
The UNHRC had adopted a resolution in March 2012 asking Sri Lanka to implement the recommendations of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission. "Since then, there has been no progress in the matter," it said.
The CPI(M) expressed concern at the declaration by Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa that no autonomy would be given to the Tamil-speaking areas.
"By this, he has gone back from his own stand that something more than the 13th amendment to the Constitution can be provided in terms of devolution of power to the Tamil- speaking region."
The CPI(M) said New Delhi should take up this matter and press Colombo to arrive at a political settlement so that adequate power is devolved to the Tamil-speaking areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof