Lankan Navy detains 23 Indian fishermen
Rameswaram: The Sri Lankan Navy has
taken into custody 23 Indian fishermen hailing from Mandapam
and Rameswaram areas when they were fishing in mid sea, a
senior official said Tuesday.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Markandeyan said that
the reason for the detainment, which took place around 11 pm
last night, was not known. The Sri Lankan Navy has also taken
their five boats into custody.
Authorities came to know about the incident from a
fisherman who managed to escape with his boat from the Lankan
naval men, he said.
Nandhini Dhinani, Collector of Mannar district in Sri
Lanka, said that the five boats have been detained at the
Mannar navy camp.
Four Tamil Nadu fishermen, who were detained for
intruding into Lankan waters, were released on June 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal