Lankan Navy detains 23 Indian fishermen
Rameswaram: The Sri Lankan Navy has
taken into custody 23 Indian fishermen hailing from Mandapam
and Rameswaram areas when they were fishing in mid sea, a
senior official said Tuesday.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Markandeyan said that
the reason for the detainment, which took place around 11 pm
last night, was not known. The Sri Lankan Navy has also taken
their five boats into custody.
Authorities came to know about the incident from a
fisherman who managed to escape with his boat from the Lankan
naval men, he said.
Nandhini Dhinani, Collector of Mannar district in Sri
Lanka, said that the five boats have been detained at the
Mannar navy camp.
Four Tamil Nadu fishermen, who were detained for
intruding into Lankan waters, were released on June 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown