Lankan Navy detains 23 Indian fishermen
Rameswaram: The Sri Lankan Navy has
taken into custody 23 Indian fishermen hailing from Mandapam
and Rameswaram areas when they were fishing in mid sea, a
senior official said Tuesday.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Markandeyan said that
the reason for the detainment, which took place around 11 pm
last night, was not known. The Sri Lankan Navy has also taken
their five boats into custody.
Authorities came to know about the incident from a
fisherman who managed to escape with his boat from the Lankan
naval men, he said.
Nandhini Dhinani, Collector of Mannar district in Sri
Lanka, said that the five boats have been detained at the
Mannar navy camp.
Four Tamil Nadu fishermen, who were detained for
intruding into Lankan waters, were released on June 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery