Lankan Navy rescues four Indian fishermen
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Navy rescued four
Indian fishermen, caught in rough waters off the country`s
northern coast, as cyclone Thane hit Tamil Nadu causing
destruction in the coastal areas.
The four Indian fishermen on board a boat were rescued
off the northern Jaffna peninsula`s Delft islet on Friday night,
They were later handed over to the Delft police to be
produced before a magistrate and being handed over to the
Indian High Commission in Colombo.
The Indian Consul in Jaffna, meanwhile, said that
another 22 Indian fishermen rescued by the Navy two weeks ago
were still lodged in Jaffna as inclement weather caused by the
cyclone had prevented them from being sent home.
They would be repatriated no sooner the weather
conditions improved, the official said.
The cyclone hit Tamil Nadu`s coastal areas hard,
lashing heavy rain and sending wind gusts up to 140 kmph,
killing at least 33 persons and leaving a trail of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand