Lankan Navy rescues four Indian fishermen
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Navy rescued four
Indian fishermen, caught in rough waters off the country`s
northern coast, as cyclone Thane hit Tamil Nadu causing
destruction in the coastal areas.
The four Indian fishermen on board a boat were rescued
off the northern Jaffna peninsula`s Delft islet on Friday night,
They were later handed over to the Delft police to be
produced before a magistrate and being handed over to the
Indian High Commission in Colombo.
The Indian Consul in Jaffna, meanwhile, said that
another 22 Indian fishermen rescued by the Navy two weeks ago
were still lodged in Jaffna as inclement weather caused by the
cyclone had prevented them from being sent home.
They would be repatriated no sooner the weather
conditions improved, the official said.
The cyclone hit Tamil Nadu`s coastal areas hard,
lashing heavy rain and sending wind gusts up to 140 kmph,
killing at least 33 persons and leaving a trail of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Gal Gadot plays the new DC superhero- 'Wonder Woman'! Watch trailer
- IMF flags decelerating pace of reforms in India; lists six areas for further reforms
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan