Lankan Tamils issue: DMK threatens to walk out of
Chennai: Hardening its stand, key UPA ally DMK on Sunday slammed the Centre for its "lukewarm" response on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue and threatened to walk out of the ruling alliance if it failed to move amendments to the US- sponsored resolution at the UNHRC.
"If our demands are not met, it is doubtful whether our ties with the alliance (UPA) will continue...It won`t continue is sure," DMK President M Karunanidhi told reporters here even as he shot off a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying he felt "let down" by the government on the issue.
Karunanidhi`s remarks go one step further from his earlier threat to pull out his party nominees from Union Council of Ministers if the government failed to concede his party`s demand on certain amendments to the US resolution relating to alleged war crimes and an international probe.
Addressing a hurriedly convened press meet here, the 88-year-old leader said irrespective of the US accepting India`s amendments or not, New Delhi should move them at the UN human rights body.
To a question, he said none from the Centre had contacted him after he had warned of his party quitting the government.
DMK, an ally of UPA since 2004, has 18 members in the Lok Sabha with one cabinet minister and four junior ministers.
In identical letters to Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, the DMK chief insisted that the government should bring in amendments to declare that "genocide and war crimes had been committed and inflicted on Eelam Tamils by Sri Lankan Army and the Administrators" and seek a credible and independent international commission to probe human rights violations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly