Larger bench of SC hears pleas of death row convicts
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday commenced hearing on a batch of petitions filed by condemned prisoners seeking commutation of their death sentence into life imprisonment on account of delay in carrying out the execution following dismissal of their mercy petitions by the President.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam started hearing on 13 petitions filed by convicts whose execution of sentence was stayed by the apex court.
The bench, also comprising justices Ranjan Gogoi and Shiva Kirti Singh, asked the states to provide detailed information pertaining to the cases for which mercy pleas were filed and subsequently rejected.
It also sought specific information on whether the decisions of rejection of the mercy pleas were communicated to the condemned prisoners and their family members or not.
Senior advocate and human right lawyer Colin Gonsalves, who commenced the arguments, submitted that authorities have not followed proper procedures after rejection of the mercy pleas.
"Whatever orders are passed (relating to mercy plea) has to be communicated," he said and gave details of some of the cases in which there have been considerable delay or gap in sending reports to the President.
He said reasons are also not communicated for rejection of mercy pleas.
The issue of communication of rejection of mercy plea assumes importance in view of the controversy surrounding the execution of Parliament attack case convict Mohd Afzal as there was allegation that his family members were not properly communicated about the dismissal of his plea and subsequent hanging.
The hearing by the three-judge bench comes in the wake of a two-judge bench holding on April 12 that long delay in disposing of mercy pleas by the President or the Governor of persons convicted under anti-terror laws or similar statutes cannot be a ground for commutation of death sentence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory