Last rites of Arjun Singh performed
Churhat: The mortal remains of veteran Congress leader and former Union minister Arjun Singh were on Sunday consigned to flames with full state honours near
Rao Sagar pond in his hometown here.
Singh passed away in New Delhi on Friday evening at the age of 81.
His elder son, Abhimanyu Singh, lit the funeral pyre this afternoon in the presence of the late leader`s followers, partymen and relatives.
Singh`s mortal remains were brought by an Air Force helicopter from New Delhi last evening.
A flower-bedecked truck carried the late leader’s body in a procession for the cremation from his ancestral village, Shivrajpur Sada, around noon today as thousands of people queued up along the road.
Around one lakh people were estimated to have turned
up for the funeral.
Union Ministers Pranab Mukherjee, Kamal Nath, Jyotiraditya Scindia, Kantilal Bhuria and Arun Yadav; Madhya Pradesh Governor Rameshwar Thakur, State Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh, AICC General Secretaries Digvijay Singh and Mohsina Kidwai and MP Congress Committee president Suresh Pachouri were among those present to pay their last respects to Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened