Late for flight, techie makes hoax call
New Delhi: A hoax call allegedly made by a
young software engineer getting late for his flight created
panic at the airport in New Delhi on Sunday, delaying the take-off of a
Bangalore-bound Go Air plane with 164 people on board.
Abhishek Gupta (25), a software professional with
Infosys, was arrested for allegedly making the call claiming
that a bomb has been planted in the flight and there was
suspicious activity around the aircraft, sources said.
"He was coming from Lucknow in a train and it got
delayed. He called the Go Air`s Commercial Manager in Mumbai
prior to the departure of the flight. Upon his arrival at the
airport, he was arrested," a senior police official said.
Soon after the airline got the call, Go Air spokesperson
said, they informed Bureau of Civil Aviation Security and
passengers and luggage were immediately offloaded.
"The aircraft was thoroughly checked and no suspicious
articles were found," the police official said.
The arrest came following the airline providing the voice
sample of the caller.
"It was confirmed that the call was made by a passenger
who was late for his flight," the official said.
The flight with 158 passengers and six crew members on
board was scheduled to take-of from Delhi airport at 8:45 am
when the call was received. The flight took off for Bangalore
after a delay of over two hours.
A case has been registered against Gupta under sections
182 (giving false information to a public servant), 505
(circulation of false statement or rumour) and 342 (wrongfully
confining any person).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly