‘Lavasa unauthorised; can be considered if conditions met’
New Delhi: Environment Ministry on Tuesday held
that the construction at Lavasa near Pune was "unauthorised"
but gave a lifeline to it, saying the project would be
considered on "merits" if certain conditions are met.
The Ministry said no further construction should be
undertaken at the site and status quo should be maintained on
the project in accordance with the Ministry`s November 25,
2010 order prohibiting any work at the site.
At the same time, the Ministry, in an order, said it is
"prepared to consider the project on merits with the
imposition of various terms and conditions".
It expressed readiness to consider the project "taking
into account all the facts and circumstances of the case,
particularly the submissions made with regard to the
investments already incurred, third party rights which are
accrued, the various steps taken for establishment fo a
comprehensive hill station development, the employment
generated and the claimed upliftment of the area under
The terms and conditions included payment of "substantial
penalty" for the violation of environmental laws, which is
Besides the penalty, Lavasa Corporation Limited will have
to create Environmental Restoration Fund (ERF) with
"sufficiently large corpus" to be managed by an independent
body with various stakeholders under the overall supervision
of the Ministry of Environment and Forests, the order said.
The Ministry also wants imposition of stringent terms and
conditions to ensure that no further environmental degradation
takes place and that any degradation that has already occurred
would be rectified within a time-bound schedule, it said.
The Lavasa would also have to formulate a comprehensive
Environmental Impact Assesment (EIA) Report and Management
Plan for the project.
In its reaction, the Lavasa said a "quick review" of
order indicated that the Ministry`s decision was "more on
jurisdiction than on environment issues".
It contended that "no weightage or consideration" had
been given to the "huge body of data submitted" by the Lavasa
on environment protetion and enhancement initiatives.
The company suggested that a technical team of the
Ministry that inspected the site had misrepresented the "state
of affairs" by "amplifying minor faults and ignoring the
environmental work done" which was "bound to have a negative
bearing on the decision of the competent authority".
The Ministry`s team, headed by Naresh Dayal, undertook a
visit to the site from January 5 and said no large-scale
destruction of forest had taken place at the controversial
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'