Law alone cannot prevent rape: Speaker
New Delhi: Expressing anguish over the rape of a five-year-old girl in the capital, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said law alone cannot prevent such incidents and called for a change in attitude of people and society.
"Law alone cannot, however, prevent such incidents. A change in the attitude of people and society only will check such inhumane crimes against children and women," Kumar said making a reference to the gang rape of a five-year-old by "senseless persons".
The Lok Sabha condemned the barbaric incident and prayed for speedy recovery of the child.
"Though, Parliament has recently passed a tougher legislation to prevent rapes, the evil has not abated and such incidents are still on the rise throughout the country," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem