Law alone cannot prevent rape: Speaker
New Delhi: Expressing anguish over the rape of a five-year-old girl in the capital, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said law alone cannot prevent such incidents and called for a change in attitude of people and society.
"Law alone cannot, however, prevent such incidents. A change in the attitude of people and society only will check such inhumane crimes against children and women," Kumar said making a reference to the gang rape of a five-year-old by "senseless persons".
The Lok Sabha condemned the barbaric incident and prayed for speedy recovery of the child.
"Though, Parliament has recently passed a tougher legislation to prevent rapes, the evil has not abated and such incidents are still on the rise throughout the country," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Heightened' Dahi Handi revelry continues despite court curb
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH