Law alone cannot prevent rape: Speaker
New Delhi: Expressing anguish over the rape of a five-year-old girl in the capital, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said law alone cannot prevent such incidents and called for a change in attitude of people and society.
"Law alone cannot, however, prevent such incidents. A change in the attitude of people and society only will check such inhumane crimes against children and women," Kumar said making a reference to the gang rape of a five-year-old by "senseless persons".
The Lok Sabha condemned the barbaric incident and prayed for speedy recovery of the child.
"Though, Parliament has recently passed a tougher legislation to prevent rapes, the evil has not abated and such incidents are still on the rise throughout the country," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing