Law alone cannot prevent rape: Speaker
New Delhi: Expressing anguish over the rape of a five-year-old girl in the capital, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said law alone cannot prevent such incidents and called for a change in attitude of people and society.
"Law alone cannot, however, prevent such incidents. A change in the attitude of people and society only will check such inhumane crimes against children and women," Kumar said making a reference to the gang rape of a five-year-old by "senseless persons".
The Lok Sabha condemned the barbaric incident and prayed for speedy recovery of the child.
"Though, Parliament has recently passed a tougher legislation to prevent rapes, the evil has not abated and such incidents are still on the rise throughout the country," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test