Law alone cannot prevent rape: Speaker
New Delhi: Expressing anguish over the rape of a five-year-old girl in the capital, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said law alone cannot prevent such incidents and called for a change in attitude of people and society.
"Law alone cannot, however, prevent such incidents. A change in the attitude of people and society only will check such inhumane crimes against children and women," Kumar said making a reference to the gang rape of a five-year-old by "senseless persons".
The Lok Sabha condemned the barbaric incident and prayed for speedy recovery of the child.
"Though, Parliament has recently passed a tougher legislation to prevent rapes, the evil has not abated and such incidents are still on the rise throughout the country," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS