Law and order must be kept in mind during protest: Sandeep Dikshit
New Delhi: Commenting on India Against Corruption (IAC) members protest outside the residences of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit on Sunday said that law and order must be kept in mind during a protest.
"Whenever there is a protest, law and order should be kept in mind," Dikshit said.
"They should do the protest under the rules and regulations," he added.
He further said the change in the Team Anna campaign`s objective was now clear.
"As we all can see, slowly their entire movement is changing. The team had Anna Hazare as their idol and guide, but their campaign is now taking a very personal shape. And, we can see that change in values and ideals by the replacement of `Arvind` instead of `Anna` in the caps of campaigners. It might be a symbol of the change their movement is going through," said Dikshit.
Earlier in the day, activist Arvind Kejriwal had called both the ruling Congress and the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national threats.
Kejriwal, who along with other members of India Against Corruption were released after being detained by the Delhi Police for protesting outside the residences of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi without permission, said he is not surprised by the reaction of the Delhi Police.
"They said I am being detained because I am a threat to peace. Am I a threat or the BJP, the Congress are a threat to the peace of the country? Their intolerance and arrogance is coming out... that any kind of protest will not tolerated," said Kejriwal.
"The Congress and the BJP hold so many protests. They are never stopped. Raj Thackeray takes a rally without police permission, thousands attend, but he is not stopped. He is in fact given police protection. Why are we being stopped from holding a peaceful protest," Kejriwal asked.
The Delhi Police had denied permission for the protest, saying Parliament is in session and prohibitory orders are in place and no protest can be allowed in the high-security areas.
They had also said that India Against Corruption had failed to control a protest that was held in New Delhi last month.
Meanwhile, six metro stations in central Delhi, which were earlier announced to be closed due to security concerns over the protest, will now remain open throughout the day.
Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Patel Chowk, Race Course, Jor Bagh and Khan Market stations falling near and around the residences of Singh and Gadkari were to remain closed from 8 am to 6 PM today.
Delhi Metro had taken the decision to close down the stations, five of which fall on the Gurgaon Line, after instructions from Delhi Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in