Law on disability at an advanced stage: Wasnik
Guwahati: Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik on Sunday said the framing of a law on disability was at an advanced stage and would come up for consultation at the Centre soon.
The report was received last year and the final draft of the law is being prepared, Wasnik said, addressing a regional symposium on `Disability Scenario in Northeast India-Status, Challenges and Prospects` here.
Wasnik said his ministry had set up a separate department for disability to address the problem and to ensure that schemes meant for affected people reach them.
He stressed the need for better utilisation of funds allotted for people with disabilities and to ensure that it reaches the ultimate beneficiaries in the Northeast.
"It has been found during review that though 10 per cent of all schemes have been provided for the Northeast, the amount was not utilised fully and it failed to reach the ultimate beneficiaries ... The amount at our disposal is not big but we must ensure its full utilisation."
Among the steps taken by the ministry to address the concerns and needs of persons with disabilities is the inauguration of the Indian Sign language and Research Centre, the minister said.
He said issuance of disability certificates was an area of major concern as only 6 per cent of the disabled persons were given these in Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland. In Meghalaya and Tripura, the rates were higher at 72 per cent and 90 per cent respectively.
The minister directed the officers concerned to come forward in this regard and urged the state governments to hold special camps for issuing the certificates.
He admitted that the three per cent reservation for the disabled in private and government sectors was not being implemented strictly and urged the Labour and Employment ministry to take necessary steps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you