Law on disability at an advanced stage: Wasnik
Guwahati: Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik on Sunday said the framing of a law on disability was at an advanced stage and would come up for consultation at the Centre soon.
The report was received last year and the final draft of the law is being prepared, Wasnik said, addressing a regional symposium on `Disability Scenario in Northeast India-Status, Challenges and Prospects` here.
Wasnik said his ministry had set up a separate department for disability to address the problem and to ensure that schemes meant for affected people reach them.
He stressed the need for better utilisation of funds allotted for people with disabilities and to ensure that it reaches the ultimate beneficiaries in the Northeast.
"It has been found during review that though 10 per cent of all schemes have been provided for the Northeast, the amount was not utilised fully and it failed to reach the ultimate beneficiaries ... The amount at our disposal is not big but we must ensure its full utilisation."
Among the steps taken by the ministry to address the concerns and needs of persons with disabilities is the inauguration of the Indian Sign language and Research Centre, the minister said.
He said issuance of disability certificates was an area of major concern as only 6 per cent of the disabled persons were given these in Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland. In Meghalaya and Tripura, the rates were higher at 72 per cent and 90 per cent respectively.
The minister directed the officers concerned to come forward in this regard and urged the state governments to hold special camps for issuing the certificates.
He admitted that the three per cent reservation for the disabled in private and government sectors was not being implemented strictly and urged the Labour and Employment ministry to take necessary steps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves