Law on disability at an advanced stage: Wasnik
Guwahati: Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik on Sunday said the framing of a law on disability was at an advanced stage and would come up for consultation at the Centre soon.
The report was received last year and the final draft of the law is being prepared, Wasnik said, addressing a regional symposium on `Disability Scenario in Northeast India-Status, Challenges and Prospects` here.
Wasnik said his ministry had set up a separate department for disability to address the problem and to ensure that schemes meant for affected people reach them.
He stressed the need for better utilisation of funds allotted for people with disabilities and to ensure that it reaches the ultimate beneficiaries in the Northeast.
"It has been found during review that though 10 per cent of all schemes have been provided for the Northeast, the amount was not utilised fully and it failed to reach the ultimate beneficiaries ... The amount at our disposal is not big but we must ensure its full utilisation."
Among the steps taken by the ministry to address the concerns and needs of persons with disabilities is the inauguration of the Indian Sign language and Research Centre, the minister said.
He said issuance of disability certificates was an area of major concern as only 6 per cent of the disabled persons were given these in Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland. In Meghalaya and Tripura, the rates were higher at 72 per cent and 90 per cent respectively.
The minister directed the officers concerned to come forward in this regard and urged the state governments to hold special camps for issuing the certificates.
He admitted that the three per cent reservation for the disabled in private and government sectors was not being implemented strictly and urged the Labour and Employment ministry to take necessary steps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal