Law to prevent SC, ST atrocities to be made more stringent
New Delhi: Assuring the Lok Sabha that the
government would make law more stringent to prevent atrocities
against SC and ST, Home Minister P Chidambaram today said the
principal responsibility was with the states to implement
"We will make the law more stringent and if needed, bring
amendments in the Act (SC&ST Prevention of Atrocities Act),"
he said replying to a discussion on situation arising out of
increasing atrocities against SC and ST.
He said, "In my view, the principal responsibility is with
the state governments to implement these laws. The state
government must post SC and ST officials where the people are
About reservation in jobs for SC and ST, the minister
said, "Since 1950...government is totally committed to
reservation of SC, ST and OBC in jobs. In UPA-I, we have
cleared a backlog of 54,000 vacancies. We would come up with
another drive to fill the vacancies reserved for SC and ST."
He said, "This is the most vulnerable country (as far
civil rights of SC and ST are concerned)...we can`t call
ourselves civilised...how we treat our SC, ST and women."
About fund allocations for the welfare of SC and ST, he
said, "The ministries give details of funds allocated for SC
and ST and the schemes under which they partially benefited."
"Some ministries are not doing so. The Planning Commission
has constituted a committee for the purpose. Once the
committee submits its reports, all ministries would follow the
same pattern of giving details of funds allocated for SC and
The minister pointed out that one of the reasons for
atrocities against SC and ST is that they are getting
prosperous day by day. "This has also created problems," he
He also said the delay in justice results in disappearance
of evidence and forces witnesses to turn hostile. Thus speedy
justice is required to ensure civil rights of vulnerable
classes of society, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor