Law to prevent SC, ST atrocities to be made more stringent
New Delhi: Assuring the Lok Sabha that the
government would make law more stringent to prevent atrocities
against SC and ST, Home Minister P Chidambaram today said the
principal responsibility was with the states to implement
"We will make the law more stringent and if needed, bring
amendments in the Act (SC&ST Prevention of Atrocities Act),"
he said replying to a discussion on situation arising out of
increasing atrocities against SC and ST.
He said, "In my view, the principal responsibility is with
the state governments to implement these laws. The state
government must post SC and ST officials where the people are
About reservation in jobs for SC and ST, the minister
said, "Since 1950...government is totally committed to
reservation of SC, ST and OBC in jobs. In UPA-I, we have
cleared a backlog of 54,000 vacancies. We would come up with
another drive to fill the vacancies reserved for SC and ST."
He said, "This is the most vulnerable country (as far
civil rights of SC and ST are concerned)...we can`t call
ourselves civilised...how we treat our SC, ST and women."
About fund allocations for the welfare of SC and ST, he
said, "The ministries give details of funds allocated for SC
and ST and the schemes under which they partially benefited."
"Some ministries are not doing so. The Planning Commission
has constituted a committee for the purpose. Once the
committee submits its reports, all ministries would follow the
same pattern of giving details of funds allocated for SC and
The minister pointed out that one of the reasons for
atrocities against SC and ST is that they are getting
prosperous day by day. "This has also created problems," he
He also said the delay in justice results in disappearance
of evidence and forces witnesses to turn hostile. Thus speedy
justice is required to ensure civil rights of vulnerable
classes of society, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island
- I gossiped about Hollywood with Nathan Jones: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Tribal community members in Goa narrate their woes to Arvind Kejriwal