Lawmakers must maintain dignity: Sharad Yadav
Patna: JD (U) national president Sharad
Yadav on Tuesday asked lawmakers to conduct themselves with dignity
to maintain their credibility.
"Certain forces are making all out efforts to malign
the image of political class and parliamentary institutions.
The onus is on politicians themselves to conduct themselves in
an appropriate manner to maintain their credibility and that
of the institutions," he told legislators on the concluding
day of the two-day orientation programme.
"Lawmakers must strive hard to live up to
the expectation of the people, be it fight against corruption
or any other public issue like price rise, inflation,
unemployment", Yadav said.
Yadav told the legislators that it was due to
the persistent efforts of the lawmakers that a number of
scams, like 2G spectrum, commonwealth games and Adarsh society
came to the fore and the government was "compelled" to act
tough against the tainted persons.
But the crusade against corruption was not over, he
Lawmakers should continue with their efforts to root
out corruption from the system, he said and urged them to use
basic tools, like uprightness, moral authority and discourse
at appropriate forums to put the government under constant
pressure, Yadav said. Later talking to reporters, the JD(U) president
expressed surprise at, what he described as "the squabble"
among the senior ministers of the UPA government and described
the situation as `unprecedented.`
The Centre has not only failed to deal with the issues
like price rise, inflation and unemployment, but was also
incapable of acting in a decisive manner on governance-related
issues, Yadav said referring to the controversy over the
leakage of a finance ministry note on the 2G spectrum.
The senior JD(U) leader criticized the Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh for defending Union Home minister P Chidambaram
in spite of being away from the country and reminded the
latter that he had taken the oath of the constitution to
protect the institutions and the country.
The Prime M nister must act with propriety to protect
the people, institutions and the country instead of trying to
save the skin of his embattled minister, Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will not bow to labour reform protestors: French PM Manuel Valls
- Former Punjab CM Beant Singh's grandson shoots himself, dies
- Photo alert! First look of Dwayne Johnson from 'Fast & Furious 8'!
- Celebs slam AIB's Tanmay Bhat for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar! – Details inside
- Japanese parents leave son in mountains as punishment, now a massive search in underway