Laws are effective only if implemented efficiently: Meira Kumar
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of several protests against the executive, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said laws are effective only if they are implemented efficiently by the government and civil servants.
Speaking to IAS probationers of 2012 batch here after inaugurating an Appreciation Course in Parliamentary Practices and Procedures, Kumar stressed that a law is "only as effective as its implementation".
She urged the civil servants to assist the government in accomplishing the complex tasks of development and administration.
"They must remember that in a democratic set-up, the governing institutions should be accessible, inclusive and transparent and they have to be responsive to the hopes and aspirations of the people and address their concerns," she said.
Kumar underscored the fact that IAS officials must ensure efficient administration with utmost transparency and accountability at all levels in public service.
"They should ensure that the benefits of progress reach the remotest corner of our country equitably, including the underprivileged and downtrodden sections of society," she said.
The Speaker maintained that the Executive accountability to Parliament is aimed at ensuring that the government of the day delivers for public good to the best of its ability and the Executive power is not misused.
Kumar highlighted the fact that democracy empowers those who are marginalised and it is the duty of the Executive to take note of their aspirations and grievances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant