Laws are effective only if implemented efficiently: Meira Kumar
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of several protests against the executive, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said laws are effective only if they are implemented efficiently by the government and civil servants.
Speaking to IAS probationers of 2012 batch here after inaugurating an Appreciation Course in Parliamentary Practices and Procedures, Kumar stressed that a law is "only as effective as its implementation".
She urged the civil servants to assist the government in accomplishing the complex tasks of development and administration.
"They must remember that in a democratic set-up, the governing institutions should be accessible, inclusive and transparent and they have to be responsive to the hopes and aspirations of the people and address their concerns," she said.
Kumar underscored the fact that IAS officials must ensure efficient administration with utmost transparency and accountability at all levels in public service.
"They should ensure that the benefits of progress reach the remotest corner of our country equitably, including the underprivileged and downtrodden sections of society," she said.
The Speaker maintained that the Executive accountability to Parliament is aimed at ensuring that the government of the day delivers for public good to the best of its ability and the Executive power is not misused.
Kumar highlighted the fact that democracy empowers those who are marginalised and it is the duty of the Executive to take note of their aspirations and grievances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: This is the first Prime Minister-like action by Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’