Lawyer of Samjhauta blast accused alleges torture
New Delhi: The lawyer of Samjhauta Blast accused Rajendra Choudhary has sent a legal notice to the Director National Investigation Agency alleging torture of his client in the custody.
"My client was visibly shaken, there were dark circles under his eyes. It was visible that he was not allowed to sleep for days together. My client was not allowed to speak though from his body language it was clear that he was harassed both mentally and physically and there was threat to his life," Choudhary`s lawyer Narendra Kalra alleged.
Kalra demanded from the NIA Chief to constitute a Medical Board for giving "true and exact report" of mental and physical health of Choudhary for ensuring his safety in custody.
"It is clear from the conduct of your officers that they have thrashed, harassed, tortured and have applied all kind of third degrees upon my client to force him to give confessional statement. It is not expected from a prestigious investigating agency of India," he alleged.
Chaudhary was arrested by NIA from Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh on December 15 from where he had been brought to Panchkula, near Chandigarh, on transit remand.
The bomb blasts in the Samjhauta Express near Panipat, Haryana on February 18, 2007 and the consequent fire in the train coaches resulted in the loss of 68 lives and injuries to 12 train passengers including women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves