Lawyers should maintain highest standards of probity: Law Minister
New Delhi: Asking lawyers to maintain highest standards of ethics and probity, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar on Saturday said concerns expressed on falling standards of the legal profession cannot be brushed aside and require remedial action.
He also asked the lawyers to be vigilant against oppressive interpretation and application of law and use it to promote the concept of justice for all.
"...Concerns have been voiced about the falling ethical and professional standards. These concerns cannot be brushed aside and deserve our thoughtful consideration...It is necessary to question ourselves whether the profession as we recognise it today stands exiled from its earlier position as custodian of the social conscience," Kumar said.
He said the standing of a lawyer is based on his commitment for the cause of justice, intellectual integrity and commitment to the highest standards of ethics and probity.
Kumar was addressing the golden jubilee celebrations of the Bar Council of India here in the presence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir.
Referring to demands for providing better facilities to lawyers, particularly those who are new in the field, Kumar said the government will continue to strive for the welfare of the legal fraternity and proactively implement suggestions received on the issue.
Echoing the sentiments of the Prime Minister, he said following globalisation, lawyers should brace themselves for cases emerging out of international commerce and transnational agreements.
He said IT laws, privacy laws and rights and obligations of biological parents are some of the issues which would require the attention of the legal fraternity in the coming days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!