Laxman brought to Tihar jail
New Delhi: Former BJP President Bangaru Laxman was brought to Tihar jail on Saturday after being awarded a four-year prison term in an 11-year-old bribery case.
72-year-old Laxman has been lodged in jail number 4 in the same ward where sacked Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi had been kept, RN Sharma, Deputy Inspector General, Tihar Prisons, said.
"He was brought to the jail on Friday evening at around 5.30 pm. He came as an undertrial on Friday and on Saturday after doing the rounds of the court, he returned as a convict. He is now in ward 15 of jail no 4," Sharma said.
"No special treatmnent has been given to him and he will be treated as any other convict,” he said.
Tihar jail now houses former Telecom minister A Raja and former telecom secretary Sidharth Behura, both lodged in jail no 1 and are facing trial in the 2G scam case.
Regarding the nature of work to be allocated to Laxman, Sharma said, "All convicts who have been sentenced to rigorous imprisonment are given some or the other type of work. We will have to go through Bangaru Laxman`s court papers and based on his conviction status we will decide to allocate him work or not."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened