Laxman brought to Tihar jail
New Delhi: Former BJP President Bangaru Laxman was brought to Tihar jail on Saturday after being awarded a four-year prison term in an 11-year-old bribery case.
72-year-old Laxman has been lodged in jail number 4 in the same ward where sacked Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi had been kept, RN Sharma, Deputy Inspector General, Tihar Prisons, said.
"He was brought to the jail on Friday evening at around 5.30 pm. He came as an undertrial on Friday and on Saturday after doing the rounds of the court, he returned as a convict. He is now in ward 15 of jail no 4," Sharma said.
"No special treatmnent has been given to him and he will be treated as any other convict,” he said.
Tihar jail now houses former Telecom minister A Raja and former telecom secretary Sidharth Behura, both lodged in jail no 1 and are facing trial in the 2G scam case.
Regarding the nature of work to be allocated to Laxman, Sharma said, "All convicts who have been sentenced to rigorous imprisonment are given some or the other type of work. We will have to go through Bangaru Laxman`s court papers and based on his conviction status we will decide to allocate him work or not."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered