Leader of LeT`s Mewat module in police custody till Dec 21
New Delhi: A top leader of Lashkar-e-Toiba`s Mewat module was on Tuesday remanded in police custody till December 21 by a Delhi court in connection with a case of conspiracy to carry out terror strikes in the national capital.
Rashid, who was arrested yesterday, was produced before Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma and the special cell of Delhi Police sought his custodial interrogation saying he needs to be questioned to unearth the entire conspiracy.
According to police, Pakistan-based handlers of Rashid had given him the task of creating network in the region and also to recruit people for carrying out blasts in the national capital region.
They also said Rashid has been associated with the banned terror group for over 10 years and had undergone training in Pakistan.
The police also claimed that Rashid used to talk to some jailed Pakistani terrorists regarding the entire conspiracy and was in the process of recruiting various people to carry out the terror attacks.
Rashid, an imam at a mosque in Nuh district in Haryana, was also providing logistic supports to members of LeT, they said.
The court remanded him in five days police custody.
Earlier, the special cell had arrested on December 9 another suspected LeT operative Mohammad Shahid, and claimed to have foiled a conspiracy to attack the national capital which was in its "advanced stage".
He was also remanded in police custody till December 21 by the court.
Shahid (32) was arrested from his house after police trailed him for more than one week.
According to the police, he was working as a Maulvi in Noorani Masjid in Choti Mewli village in Nuh district in Haryana.
Police said that secret information was received towards the end of November that a known LeT terrorist Javed Baluchi of Pakistan had been in touch with a sub module in Mewat and a conspiracy to commit a terrorist strike in the national capital was being hatched.
The responsibility entrusted to Shahid by his handlers was arranging logistics and communication for the terrorist attack, it had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!