Leader of Opposition issue will be decided in next four days: Sumitra Mahajan
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan on Wednesday said she would take a decision on the Leader of Opposition issue within four days.
"I will see all the rules and also the letter of attorney general. I have to see what`s there and what is not," she told media persons here.
Mahajan added: "The speaker cannot do anything...I have to go by the rules. Within one to four days, I`m expecting a decision on this."
She pointed out instances when there was no Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha.
In a setback to the Congress`s desire to have its leader in the Lok Sabha given the Leader of Opposition status, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi has held that the party cannot get the recognition as rules require that the party should have at least one-tenth of the total strength of Parliament`s lower house.
Rohatgi, in his opinion to Mahajan, said that Mallikarjun Kharge, the Congress leader in the house, cannot be recognised as Leader of Opposition as the party`s strength was only 44 while one-tenth of the total strength of the house is 55.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read