Leader of Opposition issue will be decided in next four days: Sumitra Mahajan
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan on Wednesday said she would take a decision on the Leader of Opposition issue within four days.
"I will see all the rules and also the letter of attorney general. I have to see what`s there and what is not," she told media persons here.
Mahajan added: "The speaker cannot do anything...I have to go by the rules. Within one to four days, I`m expecting a decision on this."
She pointed out instances when there was no Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha.
In a setback to the Congress`s desire to have its leader in the Lok Sabha given the Leader of Opposition status, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi has held that the party cannot get the recognition as rules require that the party should have at least one-tenth of the total strength of Parliament`s lower house.
Rohatgi, in his opinion to Mahajan, said that Mallikarjun Kharge, the Congress leader in the house, cannot be recognised as Leader of Opposition as the party`s strength was only 44 while one-tenth of the total strength of the house is 55.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?