`Leaders should create awareness about HIV/AIDS`
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Friday said that creating awareness about HIV and AIDS should be a part of the responsibilities of elected representatives, corporate entities and business houses in the state.
"As HIV and AIDS is a social problem, it is time that we the people`s representatives take proactive steps to sensitise the masses on this dreaded disease," the chief minister told the North East Regional Consultation on HIV/AIDS at Guwahati.
"I would like to call upon all the members to incorporate the HIV, AIDS topic compulsorily in their public addresses so that mass awareness is created," Tuki said.
The chief minister also said that corporate sectors and business communities had a vital role in campaigning against the disease.
"I personally feel that corporate giants should include the HIV/AIDS topic in their Corporate Social Responsibility curriculum," he said.
Advocating inclusion of the subject in school curriculum right from the primary level, he said, "We have to recognise the issue as a crisis of major enormity and therefore deal with it in a planned manner for a long term but permanent solution."
Expressing relief that Arunachal Pradesh was one of the least affected states in the country, Tuki said that the state should not be complacent about it.
Tuki also sought support from the central government and organisations working in the field and assured full cooperation from the state government.
He urged policy makers and planners in the campaign against HIV/AIDS to keep in mind the sensibilities of tribal communities.
"As the crusade against HIV/AIDS does not include only medical treatment and preventive measures but also involves socio-psychological and emotional aspects, the uniqueness of tribal mentality and tradition may be kept in mind," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read