`Leaders should create awareness about HIV/AIDS`
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Friday said that creating awareness about HIV and AIDS should be a part of the responsibilities of elected representatives, corporate entities and business houses in the state.
"As HIV and AIDS is a social problem, it is time that we the people`s representatives take proactive steps to sensitise the masses on this dreaded disease," the chief minister told the North East Regional Consultation on HIV/AIDS at Guwahati.
"I would like to call upon all the members to incorporate the HIV, AIDS topic compulsorily in their public addresses so that mass awareness is created," Tuki said.
The chief minister also said that corporate sectors and business communities had a vital role in campaigning against the disease.
"I personally feel that corporate giants should include the HIV/AIDS topic in their Corporate Social Responsibility curriculum," he said.
Advocating inclusion of the subject in school curriculum right from the primary level, he said, "We have to recognise the issue as a crisis of major enormity and therefore deal with it in a planned manner for a long term but permanent solution."
Expressing relief that Arunachal Pradesh was one of the least affected states in the country, Tuki said that the state should not be complacent about it.
Tuki also sought support from the central government and organisations working in the field and assured full cooperation from the state government.
He urged policy makers and planners in the campaign against HIV/AIDS to keep in mind the sensibilities of tribal communities.
"As the crusade against HIV/AIDS does not include only medical treatment and preventive measures but also involves socio-psychological and emotional aspects, the uniqueness of tribal mentality and tradition may be kept in mind," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill