Left activists protest against hike in fuel prices
New Delhi: Left Front activists led by
CPI-M leader Brinda Karat on Monday marched from Jantar Mantar
towards the Parliament to protest the "anti-people" price hike
in petroleum products.
The protesters vowed to intensify their agitation
against the UPA government before they were stopped at the
Parliament Street by the police.
Brinda said the move to hike the prices of diesel,
kerosene and LPG betrayed the UPA government`s preference for
the "khaas admi" as against the "aam admi", whose cause it
claims to champion.
The activists from CPI, CPI-M, All India Forward Bloc
(AIFB) and Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP), who gathered
at Jantar Mantar, marched to demand a withdrawal of the price
Questioning the timing of the hike that came closely
after elections in four states, Brinda also said that crude
prices at the international level were actually coming down
and the oil and gas firms in India were making huge profits.
The CPI-M leader said the entire argument of `under
recoveries` by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee was
"notional" rather than "actual". She also sought clarification
over what the cost of production of oil products was and how
much was the tax.
She also attacked the Trinamool Congress over its
unwillingness to compel the government to give up ad valorem
taxes, and termed a reduction of VAT on LPG in West Bengal as
a "cosmetic show".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof