Left, BJP come together, make common cause on vote on FDI
New Delhi: In a rare display of unity, leaders of Left and BJP today shared a common platform where they voiced a demand for a discussion in Parliament on FDI under rules which entail voting, rejecting government`s contention that executive decisions cannot be put to vote.
At a discussion convened by organisations of small traders here, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, NDA convener and JD-U leader Sharad Yadav and CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury shared the stage and stuck to the stand that Parliament can function only after government allows a discussion on FDI and also takes a vote.
"The government wants that this session should not function. That is why the government does not want voting on any of its policies. This is for the first time anywhere in the world that such a baseless argument is given by any government," Jaitley said.
The BJP leader said FDI policy cannot be implemented in the country without a vote on the issue in Parliament.
He said once FDI comes in the country, it will first affect the manufacturing sector and job displacement of a big kind will take place.
Questioning the government`s compulsion on FDI, Jaitley said, "There is some special pressure on this government that it is talking so much in favour of FDI in retail...The last word on this issue has not yet been stated."
Endorsing Jaitley`s views, CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said, "Whatever our own politics, we have got together on this issue because it concerns the nation.
This time if there is any discussion, it will be only with voting. The government is running away from a discussion, not the opposition."
JD-U leader Sharad Yadav said FDI policy should be linked to voting in Parliament.
"We will link it (FDI policy) with votes and not allow its implementation without it. Unless the prestige of vote comes back, the value of democracy will be lowered," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre