Left calls for rejection of political platform of Congress, BJP
New Delhi: Virtually launching the campaign for the next general elections, Left parties on Monday said no national alliance was possible without them and asked all democratic and secular forces to unite on the basis of an `alternative` policy platform against the `anti-people, neo- liberal` measures pursued both by Congress and BJP.
Asserting that there was no real difference between the Congress and the BJP on policy issues, top leaders of the four Left parties said the two major parties stood for policies and programmes "which are not in the interests of the people but represent the interest of a narrow strata".
"What is required today is the rejection of the policies and the political platform of the Congress and the BJP," the leaders of CPI(M), CPI, RSP and Forward Bloc said at a joint national political convention here where they unanimously adopted a declaration and a 10-point alternative policy platform.
The leaders, including Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury (both CPI-M), A B Bardhan, S Sudhakar Reddy (both CPI), Debabrata Biswas (Forward Bloc) and Abani Roy (RSP), appealed to all democratic and secular parties to "support this platform in the interests of the vast masses of exploited and impoverished people".
They also asked their cadres to carry out a nationwide campaign on the issues raised in the charter and organise rallies and meetings for the next four months.
"The Lok Sabha polls are slated next year, but they can happen earlier also. We can forge a front of non-Congress, non-BJP parties for these elections. But our experience has shown that nothing can be achieved like that.
"No alternative can be possible if it is forged only for elections. It has to be on the basis of an alternative policy platform which will provide succour to the people who have been badly hit by the neo-liberal policies pursued both by the Congress and the BJP," said Karat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata