Left demands thorough probe, debate on coal blocks allocation
New Delhi: Accusing the government of being under the influence of corporate houses, Left parties on Tuesday demanded a thorough probe into the CAG findings on the coal block allocation issue and an immediate debate on it in Parliament.
"The Prime Minister`s statement is unsatisfactory and contains several distortions. We want an immediate discussion in Parliament" senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters outside Parliament.
Demanding cancellation of all allotments and a wide-ranging probe into the entire gamut of the CAG`s findings, Yechury said the investigation into the issue should lead to fixing responsibility and prosecute all those found guilty "however high position they may hold".
"While all coal block allocations should be cancelled and a wide-ranging probe ordered into the CAG`s findings, the government should also take steps to recover the losses suffered by the public exchequer", he said.
Asserting that "no one should go scot-free", CPI National Secretary D Raja sought a judicial inquiry by a sitting Supreme Court judge to identify those guilty and book them.
He also accused the government of being "under increasing influence" of business houses, saying "the corporates have started dictating government policies."
The CAG report has claimed that allocations of coal blocks to private companies had resulted in their benefiting to the tune of Rs 1.86 lakh crores.
The CPI(M) has asked its units across the country to conduct a campaign on the "large-scale corruption" in the matter, hold demonstrations, rallies and protest meetings between September three and five.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Kane Williamson named New Zealand skipper for all three formats
- Hema Malini congratulates Deepika for her engagement!
- Mizoram HSLC Board Results 2016: MBSE HSLC Class 10 exam Results (mbse.edu.in) to be declared today
- Docoss X1 Smartphone at Rs 888: All you want to know
- Indian Premier League 9: 82* vs Gujarat Lions was probably my best T20 knock, says Chris Morris