Left divided on the issue of Prez poll
New Delhi: In a clear cut division in the Left, two parties have decided to back the candidature of Pranab Mukherjee for President, while two have decided to abstain.
“The Left parties have decided to name their individual candidates for the Presidential election and will inform separately of their decision,” AB Bardhan said.
As per reports, CPM will back UPA’s candidature for the top post and the CPI has decided to abstain.
Left parties account for around 51,000 votes in the electoral college of 10.98 lakh votes.
The high-level meet was reportedly attended by all top leaders of the combine - Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury and S Ramachandran Pillai (Communist Party of India (Marxist)), AB Bardhan, Sudhakar Reddy and D Raja (Communist Party of India), Debabrata Biswas and G Deverajan (Forward Bloc) and TJ Chandrachoodan (Revolutionary Socialist Party).
The Presidential poll is slated for next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing