Left divided on the issue of Prez poll
New Delhi: In a clear cut division in the Left, two parties have decided to back the candidature of Pranab Mukherjee for President, while two have decided to abstain.
“The Left parties have decided to name their individual candidates for the Presidential election and will inform separately of their decision,” AB Bardhan said.
As per reports, CPM will back UPA’s candidature for the top post and the CPI has decided to abstain.
Left parties account for around 51,000 votes in the electoral college of 10.98 lakh votes.
The high-level meet was reportedly attended by all top leaders of the combine - Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury and S Ramachandran Pillai (Communist Party of India (Marxist)), AB Bardhan, Sudhakar Reddy and D Raja (Communist Party of India), Debabrata Biswas and G Deverajan (Forward Bloc) and TJ Chandrachoodan (Revolutionary Socialist Party).
The Presidential poll is slated for next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India