Left divided on the issue of Prez poll
New Delhi: In a clear cut division in the Left, two parties have decided to back the candidature of Pranab Mukherjee for President, while two have decided to abstain.
“The Left parties have decided to name their individual candidates for the Presidential election and will inform separately of their decision,” AB Bardhan said.
As per reports, CPM will back UPA’s candidature for the top post and the CPI has decided to abstain.
Left parties account for around 51,000 votes in the electoral college of 10.98 lakh votes.
The high-level meet was reportedly attended by all top leaders of the combine - Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury and S Ramachandran Pillai (Communist Party of India (Marxist)), AB Bardhan, Sudhakar Reddy and D Raja (Communist Party of India), Debabrata Biswas and G Deverajan (Forward Bloc) and TJ Chandrachoodan (Revolutionary Socialist Party).
The Presidential poll is slated for next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown