Left divided on the issue of Prez poll
New Delhi: In a clear cut division in the Left, two parties have decided to back the candidature of Pranab Mukherjee for President, while two have decided to abstain.
“The Left parties have decided to name their individual candidates for the Presidential election and will inform separately of their decision,” AB Bardhan said.
As per reports, CPM will back UPA’s candidature for the top post and the CPI has decided to abstain.
Left parties account for around 51,000 votes in the electoral college of 10.98 lakh votes.
The high-level meet was reportedly attended by all top leaders of the combine - Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury and S Ramachandran Pillai (Communist Party of India (Marxist)), AB Bardhan, Sudhakar Reddy and D Raja (Communist Party of India), Debabrata Biswas and G Deverajan (Forward Bloc) and TJ Chandrachoodan (Revolutionary Socialist Party).
The Presidential poll is slated for next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened