Left divided on the issue of Prez poll
New Delhi: In a clear cut division in the Left, two parties have decided to back the candidature of Pranab Mukherjee for President, while two have decided to abstain.
“The Left parties have decided to name their individual candidates for the Presidential election and will inform separately of their decision,” AB Bardhan said.
As per reports, CPM will back UPA’s candidature for the top post and the CPI has decided to abstain.
Left parties account for around 51,000 votes in the electoral college of 10.98 lakh votes.
The high-level meet was reportedly attended by all top leaders of the combine - Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury and S Ramachandran Pillai (Communist Party of India (Marxist)), AB Bardhan, Sudhakar Reddy and D Raja (Communist Party of India), Debabrata Biswas and G Deverajan (Forward Bloc) and TJ Chandrachoodan (Revolutionary Socialist Party).
The Presidential poll is slated for next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...