Left for govt`s reply on telecom scam, presence of FM in JPC
New Delhi: Left parties on Friday said they would continue to demand a reply from the government on telecom scam and seek the presence of Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the Joint Parliamentary Committee despite the Supreme Court dismissing a plea for making him a co-accused in the case.
"Whatever the SC says, law will take its own course. But our duty is to seek an answer from the government on the issue in Parliament and we will do it because it is answerable to the House," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters outside Parliament.
JPC member and CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta said the apex court judgement "does not prevent us from raising the demand for calling the Finance Minister to the JPC".
Making it clear that the Left was not holding Chidambaram guilty for "perpetrating the crime", he said "our point is that
it was dereliction of duty by the Finance Ministry and the Department of Telecom (DoT)."
Maintaining that it was "clearly decided" that DoT and Finance Ministry would jointly decide the spectrum pricing, Dasgupta said the Finance Ministry "failed to enforce this".
"Even the note prepared by the Finance Ministry, when Pranab Mukherjee was the Minister, clearly indicates this failure. We have been insisting on Chidambaram`s presence in the JPC so that he could explain the reasons," he said.
On disruption of Parliament over the coal block allocation issue, Yechury said "a possible way" to break the logjam was that the Prime Minister holds talks with Leaders of Opposition of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha and appeals to the principal opposition BJP, saying that a discussion would follow after he makes a statement in the House.
This, he said, should be done without wasting any time and a solution should be found out before the PM leaves for NAM summit. "Or else another week will be wasted."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in