Left for govt`s reply on telecom scam, presence of FM in JPC
New Delhi: Left parties on Friday said they would continue to demand a reply from the government on telecom scam and seek the presence of Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the Joint Parliamentary Committee despite the Supreme Court dismissing a plea for making him a co-accused in the case.
"Whatever the SC says, law will take its own course. But our duty is to seek an answer from the government on the issue in Parliament and we will do it because it is answerable to the House," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters outside Parliament.
JPC member and CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta said the apex court judgement "does not prevent us from raising the demand for calling the Finance Minister to the JPC".
Making it clear that the Left was not holding Chidambaram guilty for "perpetrating the crime", he said "our point is that
it was dereliction of duty by the Finance Ministry and the Department of Telecom (DoT)."
Maintaining that it was "clearly decided" that DoT and Finance Ministry would jointly decide the spectrum pricing, Dasgupta said the Finance Ministry "failed to enforce this".
"Even the note prepared by the Finance Ministry, when Pranab Mukherjee was the Minister, clearly indicates this failure. We have been insisting on Chidambaram`s presence in the JPC so that he could explain the reasons," he said.
On disruption of Parliament over the coal block allocation issue, Yechury said "a possible way" to break the logjam was that the Prime Minister holds talks with Leaders of Opposition of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha and appeals to the principal opposition BJP, saying that a discussion would follow after he makes a statement in the House.
This, he said, should be done without wasting any time and a solution should be found out before the PM leaves for NAM summit. "Or else another week will be wasted."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in