Left Front asks state poll panel to act
Kolkata: The Left Front on Saturday demanded effective steps by the State Election commission to put a halt to `attack` by Trinamool Congress workers on opposition candidates for panchayat poll and turning the election process into a mockery.
"It is disgraceful that the SEC has not been acting properly to stop Trinamool Congress` attack on Left panchayat poll candidates to prevent them from filing nominations or withdraw the same by force," LF chairman Biman Bose said today.
"We wonder why the SEC has not been doing its duty in this regard when opposition candidates, particularly Left, are not being allowed to file nomination or even forced to withdraw their papers under duress by the TMC, turning the entire panchayat election process into a mockery," Bose said.
He said that the Front would shortly write to the commission urging it to "activate" itself to put a halt to the Trinamool Congress attack on left opposition panchayat candidates.
Alleging that a section of the police had been `subservient` to the ruling party and was working on behalf of that party, Bose said, "It is amazing that the police remained just onlookers when such incidents take place in front of them."
Bose said that the LF leaders would meet the state Governor on June 17 and submit a memorandum to him, detailing the scenario.
"We will seek Governor`s intervention," he said.
Te LF would also stage a sit-in demonstration in front of the SEC office on June 18 to draw its attention to the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH