Left Front to celebrate 33 years in power June 21
Kolkata: Amid increasing doubts about its ability to retain power in next year`s assembly polls, West Bengal`s ruling Left Front has decided to celebrate the 33rd anniversary of its uninterrupted reign in the state June 21.
The main programme, to be attended by Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, his ministerial colleagues and senior Left Front leaders, will be held at the Netaji Indoor Stadium in central Kolkata.
"Left Front workers from Kolkata and adjoining districts will attend the function," front chairman Biman Bose told reporters here.
The present political situation and programmes of the government will be discussed at the function. Similar functions will be held in 15 districts.
The Left Front government assumed office June 21, 1977, with Jyoti basu as the Chief Minister.
Basu resigned due to old age and indisposition in November 2000 and was succeeded by Bhattacharjee.
However, the front has been going through its worst phase since last year when it was defeated in the Lok Sabha polls by the main opposition Trinamool Congress.
The front`s electoral misfortunes have continued in assebmly by-polls and two rounds of civic polls, where it faced a rout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city