Left leaders meet PM, FM, seek CBI probe in chit fund scam
New Delhi: Leaders of Left parties today met the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister and sought a CBI probe into the ponzi scam in West Bengal and stringent measures to tackle fraudulent money pooling activities.
The Left parties have been demanding a CBI probe alleging that the Mamata Banerjee government was opposed to such an investigation as it would reveal links of her party with the prime movers of the chit fund scam -- Saradha Group and others.
The delegation, which included Sitaram Yechury, Basudeb Acharia, Suryakanta Mishra, Asim Dasgupta (all CPI-M), Prabodh Panda (CPI) and Manohar Tirkey (RSP), would also meet President Pranab Mukherjee this evening.
Mishra, who is the Leader of Opposition in the West Bengal Assembly, has earlier claimed that those running ponzi schemes "provided funds to the ruling Trinamool Congress and a dozen MPs and MLAs would be in trouble if a CBI investigation was conducted" and alleged that they had "a give and take relationship".
Yechury also has said that the state government`s recent move to enact a new law to protect small depositors was only to provide chit fund operators time to re-locate their properties.
"West Bengal government`s move would provide crucial time to chit fund operators to re-locate their properties. It is just buying time. The Trinamool Congress-led government is protecting chit fund operators," he had said two days ago.
Left Front MPs and MLAs have over the past two years submitted memoranda to the Centre including the Prime Minister demanding steps to check the mushrooming of ponzi schemes in West Bengal, saying such companies were fraudulently depriving the poor of their hard-earned income.
The erstwhile Left Front government had enacted a law in 2003 which failed to get Presidential assent.
The Centre has already set up an Inter-Ministerial Group to strengthen coordination among different government agencies to curb fraudulent money raising activities in the wake of Kolkata-based Saradha Group cheating investors through fraudulent money pooling scheme. The group would hold its first meeting on May 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared