Left MP urges Modi to `scrap` Aadhaar, says US collecting biometric data of Indians
New Delhi: A Left MP on Monday requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to "scrap" the Aadhaar project launched by the UPA government in the wake of reports that US security agency NSA was allegedly "collecting the biometric data of Indian citizens".
In a letter to Modi, CPI`s Rajya Sabha member M P Achuthan alleged that the US was using the agreement with India for the exchange of data to get biometric information of Indians and asked the new government to order an enquiry about its leakage.
Citing reports, he claimed that the biometric data collected in India was given to NSA and there was "widespread apprehension" about the security of such information collected by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) for Aadhaar card.
"UIDAI engages private companies, both Indian and foreign, for collecting biometric data including Iris scan and finger prints. These foreign vendors collect and store the biometric data of our people," he said in his letter.
The Communist leader said that the Intelligence Bureau is learnt to have warned in 2012 about the danger of engaging foreign vendors in the process of Aadhaar Card.
"But the government didn`t heed to the concern expressed by the IB. Now the NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has revealed that US intelligence was collecting biometric data of people from many countries including India.
"Apart from the security, this is a gross violation of the privacy of our people," he said in the letter.
"For ensuring the privacy of the people and security of our country, an urgent relook on the UIDAI project is essential. The government must ensure that the data already collected are not shared with foreign spy agencies. The Aadhaar project, which do not have the backing of law must be scrapped," he said in the letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India