Left parties accuse govt of failing to ensure food security
New Delhi: Left parties on Tuesday criticised the government for its "unwillingness" to spend a meagre one per cent of GDP to ensure food security and "wiping out" the existing public distribution system instead of strengthening it.
On the second day today, people from Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Haryana joined the five-day long dharna by the Left parties demanding an immediate legislation on food security.
Brinda Karat, CPI(M) Polit Bureau member, Amarjeet Kaur, CPI National Secretary, RSP leader Premachandran, AIFB MP Narahari Mahato were among the leaders who highlighted the apathy of the government towards the poor.
"The government, instead of supplying foodgrains to the hungry and malnourished people of our country, is keen on exporting foodgrains where it is used to feed cattle", the leaders said.
They also criticised the government for its alleged failure to provide ration cards to the needy and it was "intent on dismantling" the entire Public Distribution System (PDS).
"More than 50 per cent of our agricultural labourers, 61 per cent dalits and 55 per cent adivasis don`t have either the BPL or the Antyodaya cards. This itself means that the majority of the poor in our society are denied access even to that nominal PDS that exists in our country," the leaders said.
"Instead of strengthening the PDS, the government is bent upon wiping out even the existing structure. This exposes the true character of Congress and UPA government," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic