Left parties boycott Kurien chairing debate on rape in RS
New Delhi: Left parties on Monday boycotted Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien by staging a walkout to protest his presiding over the proceedings of the House when it was debating the gruesome rape of a five-year-old girl in Delhi.
As soon as Kurien assumed the Chair from E M Sudharsana Natichappan a little before 5 pm when the House was holding an impromptu discussion on the issue, CPI and CPI-M members staged a walk out resenting his being in the Chair.
The members from Left Parties earlier in the day met Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla to register their protest against Kurien presiding over such debates on rape issues in the Upper House.
Sources said they told Shukla that they will disrupt the proceedings of the House if Kurien is allowed to preside such debates.
Left parties had earlier said that they will boycott Kurien in the Upper House till his name is cleared of all charges in the Suryanelli rape case.
The Left has been protesting against Kurien both inside and outside Parliament. There have been widespread protests in Kurien`s home state Kerala also.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan