Left parties castigate govt over CAG reports
New Delhi: Left parties on Saturday castigated the government over the CAG reports on coal, airport and power sectors and demanded that those responsible for the "huge" losses to public exchequer be brought to book and steps taken to retrieve the losses.
"The government, which comes out with tight fists over spending on food and nutrition security of the people, takes such a `couldn`t care less` attitude over such huge losses to the public exchequer while benefiting corporates," the CPI-M Politburo said in a statement here.
It demanded "all measures ... To retrieve the losses in violation of statutory and other agreed provisions as was ordained by the Supreme Court in the 2G spectrum case."
The CPI-M said it is "shocking that how the government nonchalantly has responded to the reports by a Constitutional Authority (CAG) questioning them on grounds of Constitutional mandate. The sordid story of crony capitalism has become a hallmark of the UPA-II government."
Condemning the "complicit approach" of the government, the Marxist party demanded that "all those responsible for this fleecing of public funds over the handing over of natural resources be brought to book and accountability fixed".
The CPI-M members had been raising these issues in Parliament during the past year and brought to the notice of the Prime Minister that "these are grave violations of the statutory provisions... But no attempt was made by the government to reverse this blatant act of wrong-doing," the statement said.
"The sordid story of crony capitalism has become a hallmark of the UPA-II government," it said.
Seeking a thorough probe into the allotment of coal blocks, the CPI asked the government to "collect the differential amounts from the corporates who had made windfall profits, with the (help of) wrong policies of the government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand