Left parties demand Lokpal Bill draft
New Delhi: Left parties on Sunday asked the
Government to give them a draft of the Lokpal Bill before
convening any all party meeting on the issue.
"It is not only the issue of whether the Prime Minister
should be brought under the purview of Lokpal. There are many
other aspects of the bill which we would like to study,"
CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat said.
"As far as the Left parties are concerned, we would like
the government to give us a draft of the bill. Only if we can
study such a draft, will we be able to give our opinion and an
all party meeting can be fruitful," Karat said.
Karat has spoken to the leaders of other Left parties who
were also of the opinion that the Government should first
come out with a draft of the bill before holding any
Yesterday, CPI national secretary D Raja had also said
the entire proposed legislation should be distributed to the
parties for a proper debate.
"They should give us the entire draft bill, the one they
are going to bring to Parliament. How can a proper discussion
take place without it?", Raja had said.
"... This is not the way to consult political parties
since the government is saying that they will discuss only one
issue, whether to include Prime Minister (in the ambit of
Lokpal) or not," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested