Left parties eying new political combination after polls: CPI
Kolhapur: Left parties are expecting a new combination after the 2014 general elections, as other parties will fall short of an absolute majority, former CPI general secretary A B Bardhan said here on Tuesday.
"It is now clear that the Congress-led UPA government will not be in power after the upcoming parliamentary elections. While Congress will get only 110-120 seats, BJP can succeed on some more seats, but will not get more than 150 seats," Bardhan told reporters during a press conference here.
"Against this background, we (Left parties) are expecting a new combination after the 2014 general elections," he said.
Talking about Union Agriculture Minister and NCP chief Sharad Pawar, Bardhan said, "At this stage Pawar is neither close to becoming the Prime Minister nor the Chief Minister of Maharashtra."
"If he (Pawar) wants to play a major role in the national politics, he and his party should come out of dilemma. He should take a decision whether NCP wants to remain in power in Maharashtra with the partnership of Congress, or whether he himself and NCP want to do something at the national level," the senior CPI leader said.
Talking about the planned march of trade unions to the Parliament on December 12, Bardhan said, "All the trade unions including the Congress and BJP-led unions have joined hands and will demand social security for unorganised workers and farm workers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand