Left parties praise Naveen Patnaik govt, slam BJP-ruled MP
New Delhi: Left parties on Thursday praised Naveen Patnaik government in Odisha for saving thousands of lives from the devastating cyclone Phailin but attacked BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh government for the "man-made disaster" at a temple that cost over 100 lives.
"The contrast could not have been sharper. Thousands of lives were saved due to timely intervention, accurate forecasting and rare administrative efficiency in the devastation caused by the cyclone Phailin.
"In sharp contrast to the natural disaster of the cyclone was the manmade disaster that left at least 115 people dead in a stampede at Ratangarh temple in Datia, Madhya Pradesh. ... This was an entirely avoidable situation," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said in an editorial in the party organ `People`s Democracy`.
"Sardar Patel had once described the Indian administrative structures as the `steel frame` that not only kept the country united and functioning but also delivered. Of late, it has been legitimately felt by many that this `steel frame` has become corroded - and so much corroded that it has been rendered hollow," he said.
Veteran CPI leader A B Bardhan also drew the contrast in handling of disasters in Odisha and Madhya Pradesh saying in once case lives were saved and in the other "lives were lost due to callousness, lack of anticipation and unpreparedness."
Stressing the urgent need for implementing a national disaster management system, Bardhan said, "Odisha has such an arrangement in place, while Madhya Pradesh lacks it though there have been re-runs of such tragedies before."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail