Left parties rap UPA government
Patna: Mainstream Left parties on Sunday slammed the UPA government for its alleged "anti-people" policies that have shaken the country`s socio-economic fabric.
Addressing a joint public convention here, CPI(M-L) Liberation General Secretary Deepankar Bhattacharya lashed out at the UPA government and its predecessors for "mindlessly pursuing" economic reforms, which had helped corporates amass wealth and led to price rise and inflation.
The Congress-led UPA government has also come a cropper on the law and order situation with crime against women and poor rising, he alleged.
The masses have lost confidence in the government altogether and neither Narendra Modi of the BJP nor Rahul Gandhi of the Congress could change the deteriorating socio-economic situation in the country, Bhattacharya said.
In these circumstances, Left parties could provide an alternative, he said.
Bhattacharya also extended his party`s support to the nationwide agitation called by various trade unions on February 20-21 against FDI in retail, the land acquisition policy, price rise and related issues.
On the occasion, former CPI general secretary A B Bardhan said, if the Centre was sincere to uplift the the poor it should strengthen the PDS network, instead of working for direct cash transfer to the poor.
Bardhan also attacked the UPA government for allegedly diluting public stakes in PSUs to raise funds, which was used for wrong purposes.
CPI(M) leader Md Salim claimed that FDI in multi-brand retail would not benefit the poor sections of the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical