Left parties stage protest in Parliament complex
New Delhi: Left parties on Wednesday staged a protest in Parliament complex over alleged attacks on opposition parties in West Bengal by ruling Trinamool Congress, which said it reflected their "frustation" at their "marginalisation" in the state.
Holding placards saying `Save democracy in Bengal` and `Stop attacks on women and SCs/STs` in the state, members of CPI(M), CPI, RSP and Forward Bloc staged a noisy demonstration at the main gate of Parliament.
When Lok Sabha assembled, the slogan-shouting members stormed the Well over the issue, which led to three adjournments. In Rajya Sabha, Left members including Sitaram Yechury tried to raise the issue amidst din.
Reacting to the Left protests, Trinamool Congress parliamentary party leader Sudip Bandyopadhyay said, "They are frustrated at their marginalisation in West Bengal.
Out of 17 district panchayats and zila parishads, the Left managed to win only in one. They have not been able to digest the fact that power has gone out of their hands."
He said the Left parties were also apprehending facing a similar defeat in the upcoming elections to urban local bodies and later to Lok Sabha and that "they will turn into a microscopic minority soon."
"There is no truth in their charges about deteriorating law and order situation in the state. After the panchayat elections, law and order is completely in the grip of the state government," Bandyopadhyay said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan