Left questions Mamata`s open support to Maoists
New Delhi: Left Front on Thursday questioned Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s open support to the Maoists and her criticism of their leader Cherikuri Azad in a police encounter in Andhra Pradesh recently.
Left’s opposition to Mamata Banerjee’s open support to the Maoists led to uproarious scenes in the Rajya Sabha shortly after it began normal business this morning.
Raising the matter during the Zero Hour, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Sitaram Yechury sought a clarification from the government.
"The Prime Minister was in the House during question hour and we have asked him to stay for the zero hour but he left. He should have been present when the issue was being raised. He himself has said that Maoists are the gravest threat to the security of the country... on the other hand, a minister of the cabinet rank (Mamata Banerjee) is patronising Maoists," Yechury said.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Prithviraj Chavan said in response that "all these are media reports and nothing happened on ground. So we cannot take action based on media reports".
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ravi Shankar Prasad countered the assertion, saying he had seen Mamata Banerjee speaking on TV.
Trinamool Congress members Mukul Roy and Dinesh Trivedi objected to this but were told that they were present in the Upper House as ministers and could not create an uproar.
At the rally earlier this month in Lalgarh, Mamata Banerjee had condemned the "manner" in which Azad was killed at Adilabad in Andhra Pradesh July 2.
Banerjee Wednesday stuck to her comments suggesting that Maoist leader Azad was killed in a staged shootout and said she was happy the rebels had responded to calls from the president and the prime minister to come for talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’