Left, Right leaders share stage to oppose FDI in r
New Delhi: The Left and the Right once again came on a single platform on Thursday to oppose FDI in multi-brand retail with BJP announcing that it will revoke the decision if it comes to power.
BJP leaders Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitely and Murli Manohar Joshi shared the dais with CPI`s A B Bardhan and CPI(M)`s Basudev Acharia at `Save Retail Democracy Rally` organised at Ramlila Maidan here by Confederation of all India Traders (CAIT).
Addressing the nationwide campaign, BJP president Rajnath Singh said, "Whenever we will have an opportunity with us, we will take back the decision taken by the UPA government allowing FDI in retail."
Singh accused the government of taking the decision under US pressure without building any consensus over the issue.
"During Indo-US deal also Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had taken a decision to make the US happy. And this time, they have taken the decision under American pressure," he said.
He said "if you want to strengthen economy, will it be strengthened with foreign funds. India does not lack resources and we don`t need foreign funds."
CPI-M leader Basudev Acharya said people were suffering from the burns of inflations and this retrograde step should be reversed. "Fighting against it is the only recourse," he said.
Addressing the gathering, BJP leader in Rajya Sabha Jaitley said if retail sector was opened to international companies like Walmart and Tesco, they will import raw materials and goods from Thailand and China and such condition will have an adverse trickle-down effect on all businesses.
"People enjoy the multiplicity of choice with small traders. This will end if FDI comes," he said adding that it was completely against farmers as the farmers in Europe and America themselves were surviving on the subsidies extended to them by their government.
Joshi expressed surprise over UPA`s policy to rely upon foreign investments to bring prosperity to India and push the economy.
NDA convenor Sharad Yadav said government`s policy of FDI was against the interests of the nation. Echoing Rajnath Singh, he made it clear that as soon as the NDA government comes to power, "it will demolish the dream of UPA to bring in FDI in multi-brand retail."
Bardhan said that this was not a single parties quest. On many issues they "may not agree with each other, but being a political issue it was an issue for all".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon