Left says Rail Budget a ‘fraud on the people’
New Delhi: Left parties in Wednesday slammed the
rail fare hike and said Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi`s
announcements of completing the pending projects showed
promises made by his predecessor Mamata Banerjee were
"gimmicks and a fraud" on the people.
The hikes in fares and freight charges for most
commodities like coal, fertilisers, foodgrains, steel and
cement, notified earlier this month, would raise prices of
essential items and "adversely impact millions of rural
migrant workers, employees and small entrepreneurs who have to
frequently travel" thousands of kilometers from their
hometowns, CPI(M) said.
The "anti-people nature" of the rail budget is "further
exposed" by the announcement of adding a `fuel adjustment
component` to passenger fares, which implies periodic increase
in rail fares in tandem with hike in fuel prices, it said.
CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said "a plethora of
promises made in one year is forgotten the next year" and said
"the silence or obfuscation of Trivedi on these promises
confirms that announcements made by Mamata Banerjee as Railway
Minister in 2010 and 2011 were all gimmicks and fraud on
Maintaining that the recommendations by the Sam Pitroda
committee favoured privatisation of the railways, Yechury said
the British railways were privatised and re-nationalised
within a few years as privatisation did not work.
"The path being undertaken by the railways is a recipe
for disaster," he said, adding it was "ridiculous" that global
tenders would be floated for catering services which would
attract MNCs like McDonalds at the cost of Indian caterers.
Terming the budget as "anti-people", CPI leader Gurudas
Dasgupta said it "hid more than it revealed" as the Railway
Minister has not given actual figures or percentage the hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'