Left slams PM`s address to Nation
New Delhi: Left parties on Friday described the Prime Minister`s address to the nation on the recent measures taken by the government as an attempt to "defend the indefensible" and questioned how can it take such decisions when it does not enjoy "overwhelming" majority in Parliament.
"The Prime Minister has sought to defend the indefensible steps taken by the government. The Prime Minister has not answered how he could proceed with these measures when he does not have support of the overwhelming majority in Parliament," CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat told PTI.
His comments came after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addressed the nation defending the decisions to introduce FDI in retail, hike diesel price and put a cap on subsidised LPG cylinders.
"Contrary to what he has said, the bulk of diesel is used by farmers irrigating their land and for trucks transporting goods. This price increase will harm farmers and stoke inflation," he said.
He also asked what has stopped the government from slapping high taxes on diesel-run luxury cars and SUVs to discourage their use.
On FDI in retail, he alleged it is well known that the entry of Walmart and other MNC chains will displace small shopkeepers and traders.
"Instead of regulating the existing organised retail trade, the government wants to set up monopoly chains controlled by foreign companies," Karat said.
CPI National Secretary D Raja described the address as a "very, very desperate" bid by the Prime Minister to reach out to people.
He claimed that Singh "miserably failed" to answer any question raised by common man and parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in