Left slams PM`s address to Nation
New Delhi: Left parties on Friday described the Prime Minister`s address to the nation on the recent measures taken by the government as an attempt to "defend the indefensible" and questioned how can it take such decisions when it does not enjoy "overwhelming" majority in Parliament.
"The Prime Minister has sought to defend the indefensible steps taken by the government. The Prime Minister has not answered how he could proceed with these measures when he does not have support of the overwhelming majority in Parliament," CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat told PTI.
His comments came after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addressed the nation defending the decisions to introduce FDI in retail, hike diesel price and put a cap on subsidised LPG cylinders.
"Contrary to what he has said, the bulk of diesel is used by farmers irrigating their land and for trucks transporting goods. This price increase will harm farmers and stoke inflation," he said.
He also asked what has stopped the government from slapping high taxes on diesel-run luxury cars and SUVs to discourage their use.
On FDI in retail, he alleged it is well known that the entry of Walmart and other MNC chains will displace small shopkeepers and traders.
"Instead of regulating the existing organised retail trade, the government wants to set up monopoly chains controlled by foreign companies," Karat said.
CPI National Secretary D Raja described the address as a "very, very desperate" bid by the Prime Minister to reach out to people.
He claimed that Singh "miserably failed" to answer any question raised by common man and parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'