Left slams PM`s address to Nation
New Delhi: Left parties on Friday described the Prime Minister`s address to the nation on the recent measures taken by the government as an attempt to "defend the indefensible" and questioned how can it take such decisions when it does not enjoy "overwhelming" majority in Parliament.
"The Prime Minister has sought to defend the indefensible steps taken by the government. The Prime Minister has not answered how he could proceed with these measures when he does not have support of the overwhelming majority in Parliament," CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat told PTI.
His comments came after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addressed the nation defending the decisions to introduce FDI in retail, hike diesel price and put a cap on subsidised LPG cylinders.
"Contrary to what he has said, the bulk of diesel is used by farmers irrigating their land and for trucks transporting goods. This price increase will harm farmers and stoke inflation," he said.
He also asked what has stopped the government from slapping high taxes on diesel-run luxury cars and SUVs to discourage their use.
On FDI in retail, he alleged it is well known that the entry of Walmart and other MNC chains will displace small shopkeepers and traders.
"Instead of regulating the existing organised retail trade, the government wants to set up monopoly chains controlled by foreign companies," Karat said.
CPI National Secretary D Raja described the address as a "very, very desperate" bid by the Prime Minister to reach out to people.
He claimed that Singh "miserably failed" to answer any question raised by common man and parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming