Left threatens nationwide stir over FDI in retail
Kolkata: Terming as "anti-people" the
Centre`s decision to allow 51 per cent Foreign Direct
Investment in retail sector, the Left Front on Monday said it
would launch a nation-wide protest against it.
"We will oppose the anti-people decision in the House and
outside. FDI in retail will snatch the livelihood of crores of
people in the country. We will launch a nationwide movement
against it," Left Front chairman Biman Bose told a rally at
Rani Rashmoni Road here.
Hundreds of Left Front supporters participated in the
rally held to protest corruption, black money, Trinamool
Congress` alleged political violence against CPI(M) workers
and supporters in West Bengal, besides FDI and price rise.
Hitting out at Trinamool Congress, Bose said, "Be it rise
in prices of petro products, gas, fertilisers, in all cases TMC
has cooperated with the central government."
"Trinamool cannot absolve its responsibility over price
rise and corruption in the Centre as they are part and parcel
of the alliance. It cannot shirk its responsibility," he said
before courting arrest along with other Left party leaders,
including Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly
Suryakanta Mishra, former state finance minister Asim Dasgupta
and CPI state secretary Manju Kumar Majumdar.
Mishra criticised BJP leader L K Advani`s recent rath
yatra, saying, "BJP has turned into Bharatiya Jatra (folk
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- Mulayam, Akhilesh scared of me; not allowing Muslim leaders in SP to speak up, alleges Asaduddin Owaisi