Left threatens nationwide stir over FDI in retail
Kolkata: Terming as "anti-people" the
Centre`s decision to allow 51 per cent Foreign Direct
Investment in retail sector, the Left Front on Monday said it
would launch a nation-wide protest against it.
"We will oppose the anti-people decision in the House and
outside. FDI in retail will snatch the livelihood of crores of
people in the country. We will launch a nationwide movement
against it," Left Front chairman Biman Bose told a rally at
Rani Rashmoni Road here.
Hundreds of Left Front supporters participated in the
rally held to protest corruption, black money, Trinamool
Congress` alleged political violence against CPI(M) workers
and supporters in West Bengal, besides FDI and price rise.
Hitting out at Trinamool Congress, Bose said, "Be it rise
in prices of petro products, gas, fertilisers, in all cases TMC
has cooperated with the central government."
"Trinamool cannot absolve its responsibility over price
rise and corruption in the Centre as they are part and parcel
of the alliance. It cannot shirk its responsibility," he said
before courting arrest along with other Left party leaders,
including Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly
Suryakanta Mishra, former state finance minister Asim Dasgupta
and CPI state secretary Manju Kumar Majumdar.
Mishra criticised BJP leader L K Advani`s recent rath
yatra, saying, "BJP has turned into Bharatiya Jatra (folk
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog