Left to intensify stir against FDI in retail
Bangalore: Left parties would intensify their nation-wide agitation against the Government`s move to allow FDI in multi-brand retail, CPI(M) Politburo member Brinda Karat said here Monday.
Speaking at a state-level convention organised by CPI, CPI(M) and Forward Bloc, she said there was a general consensus in the country against the move, with only the Congress and NCP in favour of it.
"Except for Delhi and Haryana Chief Ministers, all the other important states including those run by the Congress are against FDI," she said.
"Our protests are to save the country from the destruction of crores of livelihoods that will happen if FDI in retail is brought into the country. The UPA government cannot give jobs but is instead snatching jobs by destroying the livelihood of people through the so-called reforms aimed at pleasing the multi-national companies," Karat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Is Ramdev coming up with world-class varsity near Delhi like University of Houston?
- Pakistan has started behaving like an enemy: JD(U)
- Donald Trump links death of NBA star's cousin to black vote
- Watch: Sushant Singh Rajput spills romance in 'Kaun Tujhe' from 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- STOP THIS SHAME! Minor gangraped in Delhi's Jamia Nagar; suspect is juvenile